I wanted to bring you one of my favourite recipes! This may not be the quickest recipe, but these Treacle Tarts are great to take as a snack or part of a packed lunch to school or work. They are also just as good for snacks or dessert at home!
40minutes preparation; 25minutes cooking; makes 4
350g ready–made shortcrust pastry
160ml golden syrup
75g fresh breadcrumbs
1 egg white
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6
2) On a lightly floured surface, roll out there–quarters of the pastry to around 3mm thick. Transfer it to four greased 10cm tart tons and trim off any overhang, ensuring you keep the trimmings. Place in the fridge for 20minutes.
3) Warm the golden syrup gently in a pan until it melts.
4) Remove the syrup from the heat and stir in the breadcrumbs and the rind of the lemon. Whip one egg white until it forms stuff peaks. While the syrup is cooking, fold in the egg white. Leave to stand for 10minutes, then add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too wet. Stir in 30ml of lemon juice, then spread the mixture evenly between the four tins.
5) Roll out the left over pastry and cut it into 48 thin strips. Don’t worry about being too precise. Twist the strips into spirals then arrange them into lattices over each tart.
6) Place the tarts in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Reduce the temperate to 190°C/375°F/Gas Mark 5 and bake for another 15 minutes until golden.