This is Part 1 of my Eating Disorder segment. I will be doing different segments, such as depression, anxiety, BPD etc.
Eating Disorders – Part 1 – How to Cope with an Eating Disorder
ASK FOR HELP
This is an important step in recovery. Find someone positive in your life that you can trust and share your feelings with. It can be scary and embarrassing to seek help for an eating disorder but gaining support from a trusted friend, family member, religious leader, school counsellor, or work colleague is for many people the first step on the road to recovery.
UNDERSTAND THE PERSONAL ASPECTS
Think about the following questions to help you and others to understand how the eating disorder personally affects you.
– When did you begin having different thoughts regarding food, weight, or exercise? What were the thoughts?
– When did the different behaviours start? What was the behaviour and did you hope to accomplish something specific (lose weight, gain control of something, get someone’s attention)?
– Have you noticed any physical health effects (fatigue, loss of hair, digestive problems, loss of menstrual cycle, heart palpitations, etc.)? Or any emotional effects?
– How are you currently feeling physically? Emotionally? Do you feel ready to stop the disordered eating behaviours?
– How can the people in your life best support you? Do you want them to monitor your behaviour?
– Do you want them to ask you how you are doing with your recovery or would you rather tell them?
RECOGNIZE THAT YOU MAY NOT BE THE BEST JUDGE OF YOUR BODY
Often, eating disorders can cause distorted sense of body image. You may need to look outside yourself when you question your weight. Talking to certain people can help you to appreciate your body and get an accurate sense of body image.
SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE
Make small steps towards recovery. Every small step you make is an improvement, and reward yourself by doing something you enjoy or that makes you feel good.
I hope you guys enjoyed this post. I didn’t want to drag it on too much, so I tried to keep it quite short and sweet but still get across what I wanted. Part 2 will be published on Sunday (14th).